single fathers (can we really do it?) Message board Forward to friends

• View author's info Author Posted on Oct 22, 2007 at 10:30 PM

I am in the process of getting a divorce. My daughter and I have always been closer than either of us with my wife. She decided she was not in love with me after 15 years of marriage. She has left and I am trying this alone, but sometimes I doubt my ability to raise my daughter on my own. I have a great income so money is no object, even considered hiring someone for laundry and cleaning, but I find it therapeutic so I do it at night instead of sleep. Anyway, any thoughts on men raising girls?

Members Only

Follow - email me when people comment
  • 14Comments

• View author's info Posted on Aug 18, 2013 at 08:58 PM

As godmother of three my advice would be that your kids will always be your kids. They will forever look up to you and your actions. Love attracts love so love your kids with all your heart and I truely believe love will find you. After all in the words of the great Poppy the Sailer Man..." I am what I am and that's all that I am."

• View author's info Posted on Jul 21, 2010 at 10:19 AM

in the last couple years ive meet more fathers raising there children , i think its great. its the hardest job out there but the reward is well worth it. and i can relate to the laundry thing
  • View author's info Posted on Jul 08, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Well I guess if I have anyware I can comment it is here . I am and have been a single father of 2, boy and a girl for the past 7.5 years full time . I am a carpenter ad have had very little help. The one person "LuvvingLife" made a couple good comments that I liked so did everyone here , but what I would say is the same thing I would say to my kids never say you cant . before I had kids,I thought I was a strong person but found my true love for my kids to be stronger. If you feel like you want good for them then you do thesame fo your self that way you gain srength for both of you. good luck . ps she lookshappy with you
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 14, 2010 at 06:53 PM

Don't know, I have a 11 year old Son whois with his dad and my daughter is with me. Don't know where you are if you will reply I will chat more I don't have a good income and pulling the weight myself or should I say with some housing help from Aunt and Uncle. Write back if you like I'm not here long
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 13, 2008 at 08:59 AM

Im a single father due to his mom walking out.. There was no real warning other then waking up to recieve a kiss goodbye and a "im not happy anymore and i want freedom" I have a 4 year old boy who i adore. the key is to MAKE TIME FOR THEM. cleaning and extras like that can be so much fun.. as Tomas the Train says "its nice to be a useful engine" they like to be apart of things and feel useful & important.. then even taking the trash out is an adventure..

Point is no matter what happens, no matter whats thrown at us..fathers CAN make it. I left my last job (coal miner) to work somewhere more safe and in an occupation i enjoy to ensure more time to take care of the little things that are so precious. I know your pain sir.. that burn of loss may never go away untill we meet that someone that accepts us and our child with open arms. then if and when it works out maybe we find some happiness in our lives. It wont happen over night.. but have faith. It will happen.

i wish you the best of luck sir and i definately understand the question

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Jun 06, 2008 at 08:09 PM

I'm sure by now you have gotten a little better at taken care of that daughter of yours...I have a 15 1/2 year old and her dad just popped back into the picture..if I can handle all of these years with out him, you sure can handle of the years to come...god bless your adventures. :)
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 06, 2008 at 01:19 PM

Good for you for taking the challenge when so many walk away.I have raised my 11 y.o. boy and 6 y.o. girl from very young and it's funny how it is just expected for a woman but it's not easy for any single parent, i believe.. spending time is important, knowing what makes them smile and most importantly LOVE them.. and tell them every day.
  • View author's info Posted on Jun 03, 2008 at 06:21 PM

Yeah as previously said you can and its rewarding, i have had my daughter since she was three with the slit and she has no contact with her mother so i have to involve sisters and female friends involved for any girly problems that come up wich will be soon since she is turning 12.keep it up it will only have you two form a greater bond.
  • View author's info Posted on May 17, 2008 at 04:58 AM

taking the time to do something together is important. like reading a book together (hoot is a great option thats fun for kids and grown-ups), or discussing each other's day over dinner asking questions that show genuine interest and concern are enough to know that your daughter is significant and that you're always there whenever she may need you. having doubts is normal, but honestly i think youre gonna be fine!
  • View author's info Posted on Mar 27, 2008 at 12:55 PM

YES ! you can do it....I ve taken care of my daughter for the last 2.5 years.I had to adapt my working time but it s more easy than you think .It s greatly rewarding too ...AS jennifer says , try to involve your daughter in house cleaning etc...you ll see she will be very happy to help you...you ll be fine ..don't worry...

Members Only

• View author's info Posted on Mar 22, 2008 at 02:13 AM

Yes of course you can and good on you. I think what you feel is as human as what woman feel sometimes. Please dont sell yourself short, it isnt easy being a parent. We are not given an apprenticeship to parenting when we become parents, we learn along the way. Be gentle with yourself your daughter will learn from your example.
    Cheers
    Margo
  • View author's info Posted on Feb 23, 2008 at 05:59 AM

Hi,

Just your deep concern says a lot about what a great job you'll do. Having immediate family close by (aunts, uncles, grandparents) can be a definite plus.

Thanks

George
  • View author's info Posted on Dec 21, 2007 at 09:38 PM

One tip ....maybe try and spend time doing enjoyable activities with your girl...instead of being up all night doing laundry maybe you can have your daughter help with the easy stuff like loading the clothes and then you can spend more time with her and since she is a girl you should try to add in girly games daily like painting nails and dress up...I know it doesnt sound manly but shell love it.
  • View author's info Posted on Nov 20, 2007 at 07:37 PM

Hi there,
    The fact that you are worried about being a single parent says a lot. It says you are going to be just fine. It's a tough job, the toughest job you will ever love. You have already made the hard decision to be a single parent. Are there female role models in your daughters life that she can rely on, grandmother, aunts, a favorite teacher or coach. I was raised by a single father and having my grandmothers and friends' moms close by helped tremendously. Keep us posted! Your daughter is so lucky to have a wonderful father like you raising her.
Follow - email me when people comment